Friday, June 27, 2014

The "I Love Lucy" Bedroom Paintings

Here's a little assignment for all my fellow "Lucy" lovers. For the last few weeks, I've been on the prowl for some of the original I Love Lucy paintings that decorate the set. Eventually, I decided that I was going to only focus on the pair of dancers that hang above Lucy and Ricky's twin beds in their New York apartment. Finally, I've made a breakthrough, but it's only half a breakthrough. I'm hoping that any readers with extra information will help me (and the world of movie art lovers) out a little bit and add to the illustrious, but understated history of television art.
I don't need to explain why I love Lucy. Does anyone need an excuse to love timeless comedy and incredible talent? (The answer, by the way, is no.) I really wanted to be able to document the two paintings that hang above Lucy and Ricky's twin bed in their NYC bedroom set. It's hard getting a long clear shot of them, but they appeared to be paintings of male and female ballet dancers. They are very simple (even the casual watcher would notice that), so I almost assumed that they were just a couple of paintings from Sears or a pair of Woolworth prints and I really focused my search in that area, but I was wrong.
It turns out that the paintings were original works of art made by the set designers of I Love Lucy in 1952. They are, indeed, simple, but that is just because I'm sure the set artist had a lot of work to do besides quickly paint these dancers. Once, Lucy and Ricky "left" NYC, the paintings did not follow them and it appears that the paintings were lost to posterity, priceless and fun props.

At least they were lost. In 2006, the male dancer went up for sale on Worthpoint, an online auction sale. The seller claims that his mother not only purchased the painting in an auction in 1961, but also painted the dancers. According to his account, they are painted on thick paper with pastel. Apparently, the frame was used for some of his childhood art which protected the pastel from the elements for years, so it is still in pretty good shape. I've included his description in the sources below.
In 2006, the trail goes cold and my lack of an online auction account forces me to give up the scent. I assume the painting was sold, most likely for a good price. But I don't know where it went or for how much.

Here are my requests for you, the reader. If you, by rare chance, know the artist, the current owner, or the location of either painting, please let me know immediately, so I can share this information with the world. I'd love to complete this post, but it seems that the internet has decided not to allow me to finish my quest. Hopefully, you can.

Sources
WorthPoint description: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/i-love-lucy-prop-from-the-1952-lucille-ball

8 comments:

  1. Assignment Help solutions offered by assignment 4 help .com is among the leading assignment composing help solutions offered online. online Homework help usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am making a miniature of the new york apartment. I have found a miniature photo pf the male ballet dancer but I am still in search for a copy of the female. any help would be great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriends mother claims she has the two originals. I've taken many photographs of them if you are interested in finding out more. If there are others out there, then they might not be original prints but they have the same frame as in the set and everything.

      Delete
    2. I was able to blow up a still of their bedroom from online and i used those. they are only black and white but that's ok must be awesome to have the originals! I'm jealous!

      Delete
  3. http://www.bakingadgets.com/i-love-lucys-bedroom-set-framed-ballet-pictures.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a print that was in the Lucy bedroom on opposite wall,there were a set of 4,have had this for a very long time.Passed on from my mother,it is a watercolor,matted,framed,exactly from the show! Been trying to find out more about this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...