Thursday, October 16, 2014

Moving Pictures: Kermit the Frog and Jim Henson Statue

I came across this some time ago and I just think its a wonderfully fun piece, though certainly not an overly historic or thematically deep piece. I love my campus, but I can't help but wish that we had something this fun.

A few years ago, the University of Maryland unveiled a statue of legendary Muppets-creator Jim Henson on their campus. Henson was an alum of the University of Maryland, so it makes sense that he's on their campus.
When the Henson family decided they wanted a memorial to their father on the campus, outside the student union, they opened up a contest. The winner was Jay Hall Carpenter, a talented young sculptor. The finished version of the sculpture shows Henson talking to Kermit, his most famous Muppet friend, on a gorgeous granite bench.
The statue was sculpted first in clay before being cast in bronze. The whole sculpture- statue and bench- were put together in College Park in 2003. It still sits in its original location outside the Union, providing students with some joy and aspirations every time they pass. If I went to Maryland, I certainly be able to help from taking tons of pictures with Kermit, but I think that is just me.
Source:
http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Jim_Henson_Statue 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...